top of page

Recreational Aviation Australia (RAAus)

Just looking for a hobby?

The Licence

The Recreational Aviation Australia (RAAus) Pilot Certificate provides the ideal initial pathway into flying.   With an RAAus certificate you can fly 1 or 2 seater aircraft with a maximum take-off weight of 600 kg, during the day, provided you are medically fit to hold a car drivers licence. All hours logged as a RAAus pilot can be counted if you choose to obtain a Recreational Private Licence (RPL) or Private Pilot Licence (PPL).

The Ballarat Aeroclub has excellent instructors that can endorse you on a low wing Tecnam P2002 aircraft that offers gentle handling qualities and excellent performance at a very affordable price. The aircraft is also available for private hire!


The time required varies depending on your progress, the weather, plane and instructor availability to name but a few. The course comprises both ground theory and flight instruction. You will need to pass written and oral exams including:

  • Pre-Solo Theory Exam,

  • Flight Radio Operator Exam,  

  • Pre-Area Solo legislation Theory Exam

  • Basic Aeronautical Knowledge (BAK) Theory Exam

  • Human Factors Exam

There are a number of flight training guides and manuals that you will need to purchase as well as a pilot’s logbook to record your training. It is best to fly on regular basis initially to build up the necessary skills. 

Age Requirements

The minimum age is 15 years. Students under 18 must have written approval from a parent or guardian. There is no maximum age to receive training.

Medical Requirements

You must be able to maintain a driver’s license in Australia. It is recommended that you seek the advice of an Aviation Medical Examiner to confirm your suitability.

RAAus Pilot Certificate minimum Hours

For Students without previous flying experience a minimum of 20 hours for Restricted Pilot Certificate is required. An additional minimum 10 hours is required to achieve a cross Cross-Country Endorsement. For those with existing General Aviation flying or Glider experience a minimum of 5 hrs is required to convert to the type. Whilst these are minimum hours, it is more likely that additional hours will be required to achieve the required standard.

Recreational Aircraft Australia Membership

Recreational Aviation Australia (RAAus) is the governing body authorised to self-administer ultralight, recreational, and light sport aircraft operations.


You must be a member of Recreational Aircraft Australia ($250) to fly any Ultralight or light sport aircraft.

Membership includes 3 magazines per annum, Student Pilot Certificate and a copy of the RAAus Operations Manual. Further details can be found on the Recreational Aviation Australia Website.

bottom of page