top of page

Recreational Pilot Licence (RPL)

You just want to fly!

This is it. The moment you've dreamt about. The momentous occasion when you take the controls and fly solo. This will be one of the most unforgettable times in your life. 


The average time taken to reach First Solo stage is dependent upon a few things. The student's ability, previous aviation experience, frequency of lessons and weather conditions. 


Before undertaking your First Solo you must fulfil the two major areas of the Pre-Solo training syllabus, theory and flight training. You are required to pass a multiple-choice pre-solo exam. While in flight training you need to be found competent in all sequences to be sent first solo. 

You're a pilot, you've flown solo. 


Now you can concentrate on your basic flying skills and strive to improve them to the standard required to carry passengers. But you must have passed your Recreational Pilot Licence (RPL) first. 


At this stage, your Flying Training will consist of a combination of dual instruction and solo lessons. Your Ground theory will also proceed in the following areas; 


You will need to pass two further written exams;

  • Pre area solo exam

  • RPL exam

  • English oral exam

  • Flight Radio Operator Licence (FROL)


In all, there are 3 multi-choice written examinations and one oral exam to complete before attempting the RPL, all of which can be sat at BAC. The minimum total aeronautical experience to attempt the RPL is 20 hours, (including at least 5 hours solo and 2 hours instrument time). However, the average usually required is higher depending on the student’s ability. The minimum age for an RPL candidate is 16 years. 


When BAC considers you have reached the appropriate flying standard and have passed all the relevant theory exams, the senior instructor will arrange a flight test with one of our CASA Approved Test Officers (ATO). 

Once you have passed the test you will be able to take passengers on local flights. 

The basic RPL allows you to fly solo or with passengers within a 25 nm radius.

You can, by taking extra training, add the following privileges:

  • Navigation endorsement (allows you to fly anywhere in Australia, but not in controlled air space)

  • Controlled airspace endorsement (Allows you to fly in controlled air space)

bottom of page